Granted you take, but granted you can't take

Taking stuff for granted is often a very common trait that we fall for in our lives. It takes more than a hit to realize that. While you can retrace your steps in some cases more often than not the arrow once fired cannot be retracted. In the middle of a very important session, windows warned me of some corrupt files and unlike Anna Hazare, I did not take cognizance of the corruption and it landed me a crashed laptop. At this point I was reminded of the brutal necessity to back up my data. Unfortunate tho, it allowed me a moment to retrospect on my list of not-to-be-taken for granted list!

1. My Parents : They've been around for as along as I've been, in fact much more. But for me, I've never had to look beyond them for any or all of my needs. In sickness, in sadness, in failures, in heart breaks, in stomaches and in much more, I've not had to even turn a corner. However, as I realize it today, I've taken them for granted for most of my life. But I can safely say that I've prayed and thanked to god for them on more than one occasion and continue to do so. But I promise to say my thank yous and express my love for this godly gift more often than I already do.

2. My darling sister : Yeah, well she preceded me by a few years, but we both know who's the bigger sibling. With her around growing up has been fun. The imaginary stories, the books that she brought along that shaped my writing, the fights, the sense of belonging, the role of being a protector, a partner in crime and the pride of having her rakhi first on my wrist. Privileged to wear the hand-me-downs and swapping jeans until I outgrew her, receiving compliments for having a gorgeous sister has all been taken for granted. No more.

3. My best buddies : In hindsight, I really don't know what it would be to grow up without them. I'd be like the electrically barbequed chicken, the chicken would be cooked alright, but without the smell of the coal, without retaining the rawness at one end and overcooked at the other, without the extra lime and maybe a little burnt. Life has given me the privilege to take them for granted, but more than that I'm thankful to them allowing me to bank on them. I needn't take names here, but the one's who are mentioned here, will definitely express their love with the choicest swear words. After all that's what love is amongst true friends.

4. My health: Being blessed with good health, and not taking care of it has been one of my many mistakes.

5. My job: Being accepted to being refurbished by my mentors and having the privilege of walking into office to take on any challenge with their backing.

And..
6. Life in general: This is something that everyone of us does without making every passing day count towards what we do is worthy of allowing us to see the sun the next morning.

I am sure I could list down a few more things that I've taken for granted. But I guess I am allowed to take for granted that my readers will understand and read between the lines.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts